We had originally designed this activity for the younger members of the family, but we know counting on fingers is for everyone (you can read more about it here!), so we have some questions that can make this task interesting for anyone:
- What are all the ways to show each number between 1 and 5 with one hand?
- What are all the ways to show each number between 1 and 10 with both hands?
- Which number has the most possible ways of showing it?
- Which one has the least?
- How many ways can you count from 1 to 5 on one hand?
- How many ways can you count from 1 to 10 on both hands?
- Did you notice any interesting patterns?
- How can you be sure you have accounted for every possible way? Can you convince a skeptic?
Feel free to mix and match and answer the questions that are the most interesting to you!