Many families celebrate the arrival of spring with candy egg hunts, and these can be an opportunity for math conversations, but we can also have these discussions with any collection such as a collection of pennies or cards or other toys. Questions such as the ones below can spark some great mathematical thinking!
- How many candy eggs did you collect?
- If you opened two every day how many days would it take you to open all of your eggs?
- What about one every two days?
- What if you shared your eggs amongst yourself and three friends, how many eggs would each of you get?
- What numbers of friends could you share with such that each person gets an equal number?
- If someone doubled your collection of eggs, how many eggs would you have?