Right now in the news, there are many articles that include graphs and other data representations. Take some time to look at them carefully and talk about what they represent and how. Is there anything you notice or wonder about them?
If you want to have a conversation about the current situation, you might want to look at articles such as this one: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/. But all sorts of news outlets have graphs on many other topics! This is a great place to start: https://www.nytimes.com/column/whats-going-on-in-this-graph
Here are a few more questions you might want to discuss:
- What can you infer from this?
- How does this relate to your life?
- What does this make you want to know more about?
- What are the questions you could ask to get that information?
- What does the graph tell you that the rest of the article does not?
- What headline would you write for this graph?