How Close to 100?
This has become one of our most popular tasks and we are hearing about all sorts of creative adaptations. Some youcubians have made grids of 400 and added dice, others have adapted it to let the grid represent 100%. Please post how you use this task with your students.
Number of Players: 2
- two dice
- recording sheet
- This game is played in partners. Two children share a blank 100 grid.
- The first partner rolls two number dice.
- The numbers that come up are the numbers the child uses to make an array on the 100 grid.
- They can put the array anywhere on the grid, but the goal is to fill up the grid to get it as full as possible.
- After the player draws the array on the grid, she writes in the number sentence that describes the grid.
- The second player then rolls the dice, draws the number grid and records their number sentence.
- The game ends when both players have rolled the dice and cannot put any more arrays on the grid.
- How close to 100 can you get?