This is a great game with lots of strategy. High school students enjoy playing! The game provides a great way to practice and build fluency in single digit multiplication. If a player needs support, tools like calculators and times tables can be provided. We have also included two versions of the game board, one 6 x 6 grid and the other an 8 x 8 grid. During and/or after playing students can discuss strategies. During play students can justify their product at each turn through words, symbols or pictures. Students will also enjoy making up their own rules for new games.
Number of Players: 2
- two markers for the bottom row of factors (for example, paper clips)
- two sets of different markers for each player to cover each product (for example, pennies and nickels)
- Tic-Tac-Toe Products Game Sheet
- Player X and Player O select one factor, 1 - 9 at the bottom of the page and place one of the markers on that factor.
- Player X may move only one of the two markers to a new factor. Player X then places a marker on the grid covering the product of the two factors.
- Player O may move only one marker to make a new product and place their marker on the grid. The markers can both be placed on the same factor. For example 6 x 6 = 36.
- Players alternate moving one factor marker at a time and continue placing their markers on the grid until a player has marked four products in a row. After the game players should discuss their strategies.