What’s the Secret Code?

Home Forums Task Discussions What’s the Secret Code?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Youcubed Staff

Tell us what you think about What’s the Secret Code?

Ann

I used this task today, and it reminded me about the importance of number sense for all strands of math.  But as the task rolled out, I realized that students need confidence, along with that number sense.  So many students asked for help, but were not specific about what they didn’t know.  They wanted to know how to solve the problem….  I asked for them to be more specific and ask task oriented questions.

We need to face the fact that a large percentage of our students are not working at grade level.   The traditional way of teaching is not moving almost half of our student population.  Regular “grappling” problems, along with related discussions, will help.

We are going to compare results tomorrow….. I am hoping for healthy conversations that support their solutions.

Laurie Turner

The only decimal number we found to work with the clue about multiplying by 8 was “.25” but these digits do not fit the clue about 200%. every combination that fits that clue results in a decimal. Can you help us ?

Robyn Kozierok

Laurie, It’s probably too late for you, but think about 1/8, 2/8, 3/8 etc. as decimals. All will result in whole numbers when multiplied by 8.

siobhan tarry

So we did it…or we are pretty sure we did. We used the hint from MathMomVT, and tried 1/8 (.125) 2/8 (.25) and 3/8 (.375.). One of the answers that worked was 8,622.125. We are very proud of ourselves!! A collective “Hurray” was heard throughout the class.
    The kids from Galiano Island community school!

Sarah Barthelet

Ann, I love this succinct tip from you to encourage the students to “ask task oriented questions”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)